Saturday, April 13, 2013

The Barter Van will become the BARTER BOLER!!

 
I am beyond excited to announce I purchased a camper to replace the van. The fact that it's a 1976 Boler is the most exciting part! I've always loved these little 'eggs', as they are lovingly nicknamed, and can hardly believe I own one.
side door outside front
outside back side door open
Despite my excitement now, it wasn't an easy decision. My original plan in acquiring a camper was to try and find one for under a grand and fix it up with my father. After doing research and reading about other people's ventures  I realized I may end up getting in over my head. Many old trailers have problems with rust and/or leaking not to mention the weight of them would require me to get a truck to pull it. This kind of goes against what I am aiming to do; buy a car to tow a lightweight camper so I can park it and have a home base while I drive a vehicle that isn't a gas- guzzler like my current van. So, when a friend texted me about a Boler she saw for sale up the road from me I jumped in the van and off I drove to see it. The thing about these sweet little campers is they are made of fiberglass and weigh in at about 1000lbs; easily towed with a four cylinder car. They have also become highly collectable so the resale value won't go down and will hopefully go up after my renovations.
After a couple sleepless nights and some math I decided to nab it. You may wonder how the hell I can afford to buy a camper. The answer is I can't, but sometimes you just have to jump in head first. I also don't have a car to pull it yet and have no idea how I will pay for one but I have faith once again things will come together if I just keep trudging along. It may just take longer for me to get back on the road but I feel it’s worth it in order to do it the way I want. I found it difficult to make work while traveling in the van and have been dreaming about having a studio space so I can truly focus on bartering my art, this time with artists.
I’m a girl who likes to get down to business right away so as soon as the trailer was in my possession I began to tear it down. There are a lot of things I need to do to it but I love envisioning something and then working to make it happen. Luckily I have family members who have the tools and the know-how to help me along. I want to do the whole thing myself and my brother-in-law is happy to guide me and teach me, while letting me go at ‘er.  Thank heavens for family and friends!
I will be scrubbing, painting, making new cupboards, curtains, and deciding how to configure the closet. Eventually the outside will get sand-blasted and repainted as well; color to be decided.  Here is the first look at what I’ve done.
dining dining stripped
bench bench stripped
kitchen kitchen stripped



9 comments:

  1. That's awesome Angela. I'm really looking forward to watching your progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm beyond excited, and a little nervous...

      Delete
  2. How fun and exciting! I can't wait to continue reading about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda! It is indeed both fun and exciting. Let the work begin!

      Delete
  3. YAY!! Eggbert made it to the blog! I am so happy for him, I cannot wait to follow him on your blogspot. A better owner he couldn't have gotten!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting. An Aunt and Uncle of mine had two of these over their many years of camping and loved them.
    I look forward to following your restoration/personalization of your new rv.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. It was love at first sight! Looking forward to putting in my personal touches.

      Delete
  5. Bolers are magnificent.I own one. I had a dream about one and the next day it appeared. They are magical trailers. Enjoy. I can send pictures. Also there are many groups to join on Facebook and online for ideas etc. Bolerama is one. Enjoy.
    Myvanwy@rfnow.com

    ReplyDelete