Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Generosity and inspiration in Ardmore, PA

Sometimes you meet people and just their aura is inspiring. Todd and Kristin Kimmell invited me to their beautiful 1895 house in Ardmore, PA. They have to be two of the kindest people I have ever had the pleasure to meet. I mean, just LOOK at them! I showed up in their town with very short notice and they still welcomed me. The family had plans that evening so off they went leaving me, a relative stranger, alone in their house for hours. If this isn't trust I don't know what is. I set myself up with my laptop in the corner of their kitchen and didn't move for fear of lighting the place on fire.

In the morning I was called in for coffee and breakfast and given the abbreviated history of Philadelphia. I always enjoy listening to charismatic, smart people and Todd is definitely one of them. In return for their kindness I left them with a piece I made on copper which they seemed to genuinely like. I am flattered to have it in their home amongst all the amazing work they have surrounded themselves with.

Todd has a studio in the basement of a Masonic hall which includes a 100 year old bowling alley. And yes, I did get to throw a ball down the lane...I scored 8.



Todd is the creator of The Grand Review, which he describes as "a remarkable collection of delightful yet obscure historic imagery from private and public collections....Rediscovered, then rethought and reworked, we present these carefully chosen images back to the public as handsomely crafted large format prints." His studio is enough too make a person drool. I wanted to walk away with many of the prints and regret I didn't, however, I know where to find them when I'm settled again.

I am only two weeks into my adventure and can honestly say I am delighted with the people I am meeting. It is giving me lots to think about when it comes to what I want to do in the grand scheme of things. For now, onward ho!

2 comments:

  1. So glad you got to meet up with them, and glad that PA was so welcoming. As the old license plates used to say, "You've got a Friend in Pennsylvania" :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The grand review has the coolest stuff you never knew you needed. If you like art and collectibles this is heaven

    ReplyDelete