Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Buckle in...this is a long one.

Sometimes I get to a point where there is so much to talk about I don't know where to begin so I just pick one thing that's on my mind. I'm at a point after this last week I feel I've missed mentioning so many amazing things and haven't given thanks to some of the people I have encountered.

Last week I had the pleasure of staying with Spencer Stewart and his mother in Maryland, PA. He was a wonderful tour guide due to the fact he has a lot of the same interests as I do. We made a trip to Washington, DC, where we toured some of the Smithsonian's museums and walked up to the Lincoln monument. All this in the rain while keeping good spirits and enjoying sights. Washington isn't what I would call a 'homey' city. It felt like no one lived there at all. We ate lunch at a little old diner where the man serving us decided to sit and have his lunch with us. I love that kind of thing. The next day it was off to Baltimore to visit the American Visionary Art Museum, which I would recommend to everyone if you are in the area. The gift shop there is a kitch-lovers dream. We met the owner and he gave me a 5-color screened sideshow poster ad for the store. My new favorite thing, displayed on my fridge.
American Visionary Art Museum, Baltimore
Then it was off to Ohio to stay with Matt, whom I met at Serpent Mound, in Cincinnati. First I visited the American Sign Museum. I made it an hour before they closed  and on my way out I saw a man restoring signs and made a comment to him. He turned out to be the owner of the place and gave me a private tour of all the signs yet to be restored. Before I left we traded a pack of my neon postcards for a museum t-shirt and they told me to stay in touch. They may be interested in selling my work there in the future.
American Sign Museum, Cincinnati
Leaving the museum I got turned around over and over again trying to find my way to Matt's house. I ended up on the highway out of town so I called to thank him for the invite but I would be continuing on. Once again I was back on a highway that actually led me back to his area. Clearly I was meant to stay so I called again and ended up at his place just in time to go out for dinner.

Now, this part of my journey is still being processed in my head. I am not what you would consider a spiritual person and have always based my beliefs in science. Matt is one of the most spiritual and generous people I have ever met and I made an effort to go out of my comfort zone and try to be open to his way of life. After an amazing day walking around Cincinnati he invited me to a friends place where they have a spiritual gathering every second week. There, his friends meditate and practice Oneness, giving blessings to each other through transference of energy by placing their hand on your head. (forgive me if I'm getting this wrong). I am still processing all of this but I will say it was a very warm inviting experience and I am proud of myself for putting aside my cynicism.
Terminal Museum, Cincinnati
I left my new friend and headed west on route 50. In Aurora I came upon a garage where the owner has been collecting old signs for over 30 years. He is very used to people wanting to photograph and was happy to let me loose with my camera. He and his brother shared stories about trying to cross the border and they wished me safe travels as I pulled away.
Garage, Aurora Ohio.
I drove straight across Indiana without even realizing it. That's the thing about driving across the US,  you cross the state borders in such a flash you don't even realize you're in a new one. In Salem, Illinois I stopped to take a photo of an old motel sign and it just so happened Terry, the owner, was showing someone a room. He approached me and was curious about what I am doing. After chatting about life and travel he offered me a room for the night and I gave him a package of postcards and a Barter Van magnet in exchange. I immediately went to the grocery store and bought ingredients for dinner since I could cook in a real kitchen! Not long after that the welcome wagon shows up at my door in the form of Brian. This old motel is now apartments and he thought I was moving in. I'm easily distracted and the night I planned to spend working on my photos turned into an evening drinking beer outside, watching the storm and shooting the shit with him. I'm always floored by the amount of information people share with me about their lives. He complimented me on my lack of judgement on people and I cherish that as someone who works really hard to give everyone the benefit of the doubt.
Motel Lakewood. Salem, Illinois
So, now I sit in my room and the storms continue to brew outside. I don't know who's looking out for me, or if I even believe in such things, but one has to pay attention and give thanks. I have read that when you truly follow your desires things fall into place. Well, I'm here to tell you there seems to be a lot of truth in that.

12 comments:

  1. I'm liking what I'm reading; you're showing us the real America, not the one portrayed on CNN and Fox. Also, glad to know that you're living 'in the moment.' I'm living vicariously through you, so live it up! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Judy. It's funny, even people here are warning me of the crazies out there. They watch their own news too much too ;)

      Delete
  2. Just a quick note to let you know how much I'm enjoying reading about your adventures. I'm sure you have some down times too, but WOW, how interesting your travels have been so far!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sara. To be honest there hasn't been many down times to report, besides when I fainted. But even that had it's own message. I've been very fortunate so far. Thanks for following along.

      Delete
  3. I am also really enjoyinng keeping up with your stories. What about writing a travel book based on your journal entries, interspersed with photos??? Something to think about while you travel...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, many people have suggested I write a book and I definitely haven't ruled it out. :)

      Delete
  4. Amazing! You rock (and your spirit does too, even if you don't think you have one). Sending tons o' love.
    xoxo
    -R

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear things are falling into place. :)

    As I was reading this, it occurred to me that you should consider writing a book based on this trip. I wasn't surprised to see the suggestion in the comments when I scrolled down.

    Eagerly awaiting your next dispatch from the road.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, it has been suggested but I'm not sure how good of a writer I am. I could fill a novel already though and it's been less than a month! Say tuned....

    ReplyDelete
  7. You make me smile, and well up a little!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do that to myself as well :) Our tear inducing things are the same Michele! Miss you guys...no really, I do.

    ReplyDelete